Sunday, February 25, 2018

Week 7 Prompt

As I read this week's reading I realized I never knew how many fake memoirs there were. I feel it is sad that people create fake stories to get attention and money. Bringing attention to what is going on the world is one thing, but making a false story is another. If you want to tell a story publish a fiction novel, and do some research to help back up the facts in it. I have occasionally read memoirs; the ones I have read I have touching and sometimes hard to read. It is only fair to the people who write their really true story for people to read that there aren't fake memoirs.

I never really watched Oprah so I have only heard of her book club; but I think it is fair that authors got the bump that they received. A lot of popular books receive their praise from word of mouth publicity. A TV book club is on a slightly bigger scale, but it is someone sharing a book that they enjoyed with others. So I think it is fun that so many of Oprah's picks made the bestseller list. It got people reading and enjoying a story.

The celebrity book clubs are a fun way to get people reading. I thinks it's great that celebrities want to share their love of books with their fans. Book clubs are also a great way for people to meet. Though I prefer a real world book club rather than an online one. I prefer to see the people I am talking with. But for other people who are more comfortable online it is great that they have the option of an online book club. They can meet people from all over the world or share thought about reading with like minded people.




Butler, R., Cowan, B., & Nilsson, S. (2005). From Obscurity to Bestseller: Examining the Impact of Oprah's Book Club Selections. Publishing Research Quarterly, 20(4), 23-34. Retrieved from Academic Search Premier database.

Fake Memoirs. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_memoirs

Liao, A. (2017). Celebrity Book Clubs Create Virtual Reading Community. Retrieved from https://www.bookstr.com/celebrity-book-clubs-create-virtual-reading-community

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I'm all for people reading and if they get a nudge from a celebrity, then I'm glad! Full points!

    ReplyDelete