Sunday, March 4, 2018

Special Topics Paper Summary

I did my paper over the Young Hoosier Book Award (YHBA). It is an award given by the Indiana Library Federation (ILF) and the Association of Indiana School Library Educators (AISLE). The award has been around since 1974-1975. The first winner of the award in 1975 was Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. There was one award given a year until 1986, when they split the award into two categories 4th-6th grade and 6th-8th grade. Then in 1992 they added K-3rd as another category. The levels are now Picture Books, Intermediate, and Middle Grades.
The 20 books in each categories are selected by a committee for each level. Each committee takes all the nominations and narrows it down to 20 which are then present to the students at the start of the school year to read. If students read 12 of the picture books or 5 intermediate or middle grade books they are able to vote for their favorite. The schools then send the results to of the vote the committee and they announce the winners at the end of the school year.
The committees also provide resource for each of the books. The picture books have activity sheets and information about the books. The intermediate books have discussion questions and information about the books. The middle grades books have book trailers, discussion questions, and information about the books. They also have a book trailer contest for the students to participate in.



Work Cited

Young Hoosier Book Award. Indiana Library Federation. http://www.ilfonline.org/?page=YHBA

2 comments:

  1. Nice topic choice! My school/library didn't participate in these while I was growing up, though it existed at the time. I didn't find out about this award until two years ago when the library I worked at had their ballots set up for it and they explained the process to me. I think it's an awesome concept, and something I'd have been all over if I had the opportunity to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,

    I haven't ever used any of the resources, but I have looked through before. They always seem to be interesting and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete