Saturday, March 10, 2018

Book Club Experience

I found a book club through my home county's library website. There were several to choose from, but this one was the only one that fit my schedule and had an interesting sounding book for the month. It is a book club that meets at a restaurant. I invited a friend to go with me to the book club. I didn't know what to expect from this book club, because the only other one I have attended is the one I help run. I didn't tell anyone that I was there for an assignment. I did read the book for the night, which was Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I found the book to be an interesting read.

When we arrived most of the attendees were already there. Two more people came in after we did. There were around twelve of us there. We were seated at line of tables pushed together in a room. Everybody ordered there drinks and food, if they were getting anything. The library staff member there introduced himself and another member of the club, when we sat down next to them. But I didn't get names for anybody else. The four of us talked about the book for a little while, but then the discussion shifted to other books. When the food arrived we all ate and talked about different books we had read. After almost everyone was done eating the whole table started a discussion, but it was about what good books had been read lately, what everyone was thinking about reading, and what had been recommended to them. The library staff member brought out copies of the book for next month, which is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Anybody who wanted a copy could check it out. Then he asked what they wanted to read next. They started giving suggestions for what else they could read this year. He wrote down all the suggestions and was going to look into book availability and book length to see what they would read next. We left after this as things seemed to be winding down. We were the first to leave but we stayed for an hour and a half.

The book club has been going on for around a year. It was started by friends and then the library staff member stepped in to get the books and run things. They seem to be a close group that meet to hang out, catch up, and talk with each other. While I thought it was a fun and interesting evening, we didn't talk much about the book that we had read for the night. I don't know if people didn't like it, didn't have time to read, or didn't want to discuss it, but I had expected to talk more about the book. The discussion what went on was interesting, though. The library staff member seemed to be in charge of getting books and helping pick books, but I don't think the group really has a leader from what I could tell. There weren't many questions asked about the book. We discussed what we thought of it and a couple of points were mentioned that we talked about. When we were discussing the book it was the four of us and we all talked back and forth. With the size of the group and the set up it's a little hard for everybody to hear what everybody else is saying unless only one person is talking at a time; and there were several little groups talking with each other. The group seems to read a little bit of everything as long as there is interest from the group. In the past they have read American Gods, Fight Club, Six of Crows, and The Woman in Cabin 10 to name a few I found on their Facebook page. They seem like a great group who had a really good discussion about a little bit of everything. And I think that is what this book club is more about; gathering together with other people to talk about popular movies, good books, and anything they want to discuss in an informal setting. I had a good time, but I don't know if I'll go back as I'm kind of picky about what books I do read in my free time. Good Omens wasn't a book I would have picked on my own, but it was fun to read. I might go back if they have another book that I think sounds good.

3 comments:

  1. While I like the idea of going offsite for a book club, I feel like introductions should be a necessary part of it, especially if there are new members. I liked that you and Tammy introduced me at your book club, that way I could get a feel for things before it started and feel a bit more welcomed and know people's names. I wonder how one could successfully create a larger book club, at an offsite location, that incorporates everyone into a discussion. Maybe using a party room at a restaurant would help to facilitate this sort of discussion, as it could be separate from the noise and din of the rest of the establishment. Or, if this was the case for the book club you attended and it was still hard to converse with everyone, maybe not having a long table set up would help? I feel the "round table" discussion allows everyone to speak to each other better, as it lets everyone have some sort of eye contact with the other members of the group, instead of being relegated to just one small portion of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun group, even if they did get a little off course from the book discussion! I wonder if book clubs held outside of a library tend to stray from the discussion more than those held inside a library. I'd also be interested in learning if the staff member does this on a voluntary basis or if this is paid time. And if it IS paid time, can the library staff have adult beverages? So many questions! I need to attend more book clubs. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent observations! I liked the suggestions you had on possible improvements. Full points!

    ReplyDelete